I remember being nervous about this placement and freaking out
about it the night before I started. Now, my heart was breaking as I
pulled away from the parking lot Thursday afternoon. I had no idea
seven weeks could feel so long but so short; so brief, yet so
impacting.
It was my final week of teaching the NPC Mustangs. And it was a
bit of a crazy week, but it ended really well.
Monday I continued my stint of teaching (or supervising) all seven
classes (my cooperating teacher was training for leading a group of
students on a Europe trip later this spring, so I took over
supervising her French classes in addition to the English classes I
already was in charge of). The freshmen were simply finishing their
final drafts, so weren't too much of a problem. The seniors discussed
“Ozymandias,” and actually got into a lively discussion about
celebrities who, like the statue, had fallen from prideful heights.
It was encouraging to see them connecting to their homework and
having so much participation. Though Monday didn't prove too much of
a problem, I was ready to have my cooperating teacher back so I could
a) have a plan period again and b) to have someone to support me
after some challenges the previous week.
Then I got the text – she was stuck due to a canceled flight.
Having finished my unit, and not being sure of what unit was next, I
came up with a plan on the fly. The students took part in four
stations, each with a different Language Arts related activity. I was
proud of myself for thinking up this idea, and actually had a student
comment on how she was impressed as well. To add to the challenge,
Tuesday morning there was a two hour delay, so I had to plan for
shorter classes as well. Hey, if nothing else, I have definitely
learned to be flexible with my plans in this placement! Wednesday
marked the return of my teacher and a phase out of my duties in that
classroom.
The senior class, meanwhile, finished their Romanticism unit and I
wrote and administered my first full-blown test. I gave it on my
final day there; however, a very small percentage of my students
actually took the test that day. First of all, not everyone was
there, being the day before mid-winter break. Second, with so many
tests that day, they had been given the option by my cooperating
teacher to opt out until Tuesday. Those who did take the test did
okay; for those that didn't do as well, it was because they hadn't
taken responsibility for their studies. I felt had given them the
supports needed; they had received a study guide and gone through a
review activity, and the questions came straight from that. I also
asked those who were there to fill out a post-assessment about their
feelings and impressions of the unit; however, with so few in the
room with me, I didn't get a good representation of the class's
reactions.
My final day was a good way to end. I had brought candy and wrote
the class notes. In the freshmen classes we also had cookies to
share. I wish I had been able to say goodbye to more of the seniors
and staff members, but many students did come and express their
appreciation and say goodbye to me. Now, I just have papers – loads
of papers – to grade before I head off to Illinois on Sunday to
start my second placement with the Central Middle School Twisters.
This placement at NorthPointe was incredible. Never before have I
felt so supported by the staff as a whole in a placement, and
especially supported by my cooperating teachers. I also felt
connected to each of the students, and have many fond memories, funny
stories, and lessons learned that I take away as I leave this
placement. I didn't know when I began just how much these seven weeks
would mean to me. It really felt like a place I belonged; I was a
staff member, I was trusted, and the students really became my
students. I come away from this
placement with more confidence for the future, with things to
continue to work on, and a greater love for what I'm doing. Now, on
to the next step and the next lessons God has in store for me. But I
am incredibly grateful for all the blessings he showered on me
through this time at NorthPointe.
Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had an incredible experience you last two weeks at Northe Point. I'm so pleased that it went so well for you. I hope that you are inspired and encouraged that you did so well.
I wish you all the best at your 2nd placement.
Dr. Meyer