Though we had just returned from Break, the schedule immediately
threw us, teachers and students alike, back into the thick of things.
We started the Shakespeare unit, which is a combined unit for Reading
and Language Arts classes. The unit will culminate in a performance
of A Midsummer Night's Dream at
Central's auditorium on the 11th.
In Reading, they're reading an abridged version of the play and
Language Arts is supposed to supplement that with information about
Shakespeare, the language, the time period, or reviewing material
they need more exposure to because they aren't understanding it in
Reading. The unit has actually been going well, at least on the
Language Arts end, so far. I had a feeling these students would not
see the relevance of Shakespeare, and being a Shakespeare fan myself,
I wanted to find ways that Shakespeare might be fun for the students.
I gave them an in-class project to show how many stories we watch on
film or read in books today were based on Shakespeare, in order to
bring more relevance to Shakespeare. We did an activity with
Shakespearean insults because it's part of the more fun and humorous
parts of Shakespeare and his language. Though there's still students
who choose to grumble, overall they seem to be enjoying the lessons I
teach thus far.
It is, however, strange for me
to not be reading the play in conjunction with what I teach. I like
these lessons; however, to me it would make more sense if I was also
reading the play with them. That is where these lessons have true
value – in connection to the text and performance. It also,
apparently, is hard for the students to make that connection between
Language Arts and Reading still, despite the fact that in reality
it's all the same subject. Some students made comments questioning
why the teachers are all wanting to talk about this play; I explained
that Reading is connected to Language Arts, and we're helping each
other out, but they still aren't sure why it's covered in two classes
that they view as wholly separate. Another student told me I
shouldn't have chosen to give them homework – and a quiz on that
homework, per what my teacher constructed – on Midsummer
since they are learning it in
another class so already know some of the answers. I explained to him
again that's the point – we want to continue to integrate these
classes together and emphasize what is taught in each.
One challenge, however, is PARCC
testing. This is the test that is supposedly taking the place of
ISATs next year. On Monday of last week, we had a training for the
test. Then the test happened on Friday, and continues this upcoming
Monday and Tuesday. This wouldn't be that big of an inconvenience,
except for the fact that only two of my classes are doing this test,
during 1st
and 2nd
hour. Students in the following 4th,
5th,
and 7th
hours don't do it all. So I have to carry on with lessons for them,
but it has to be lessons that it won't matter that 1st
and 2nd
hours miss. It's a weird schedule to work with. However, I've been
able to find some filler activities on Shakespeare that are valuable
but unnecessary to all classes.
Honestly, this placement is
starting to wear me out. I'm staying at school after other teachers
have left, working on plans the night before I teach them, then
grading, grading, and grading some more. Ideally, those plans would
be made during the weekend, but weekends are for me to apply for jobs
and work on classwork. I'm stressed about the fact that no one, in
all the applications and feelers I have out there, has contacted me
for interviews, despite the fact that I have been applying since
January and others have had many interviews and even have jobs.
However, I'm hoping this will turn around soon. I've finished grading
narratives (and rewarded myself with a customary Cadbury crème egg),
so I won't have that to do every night. I am nearly 2 days ahead on
the plans for the week, so hopefully that pattern will give me some
space.
In addition to the hope I have,
I have good friends. All of this busy-ness has kept me from making a
lot of contact with my friends. But this weekend I spent some meals
with some close friends on campus. During those conversations, one
friend stopped me and asked me to tell her three positive things
about school. I did, and she's made it her mission to find out three
new positives each day. She told me she doesn't want to see me coast
through the next five weeks or grow negative. I know I need that
accountability or I may start losing heart and focus. I do love what
I'm doing; I love the topics I teach, and I do have some fun with my
students. I still feel called to teaching. I just needed good friends
and reminding to smile about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment