“See you for another fun-filled day tomorrow” is usually how
my teacher says goodbye for the afternoon. This week, each day may
not have always been completely full of “fun” (depends on the
definition of fun) for students or teachers, but the days were
certainly filled!
It was ISAT week at Central. This was probably the part of the day
that was least thrilling for both staff and students; however, it is
important to these students' futures so was taken very seriously. My
task during this time, as someone who was not legally allowed to
proctor the exam, was to pass out calculators and scratch paper, keep
an eye on the students, walk around, and make sure they weren't going
on their iPads. Students filled in their bubbles and put some of that
practice we did last week to use as they answered extended response
for both math and reading tests (who knew you could write an essay
for math). Obviously, I couldn't make comments at the time but it
appeared when I read a couple students first sentences as I walked
around that they were off to a good start, so that was encouraging.
However, I did note one thing that could've been done differently in
practice considering the test. For the reading extended response,
students had a few multiple choice questions they had to answer first
and then with the remaining time they wrote the extended response,
and all of this was done in 45 minutes. Last week, Ms. Lynch gave the
kids a class period to read the passage and plan, then a timed 45
minutes to write. Though I think this was good to give them time to
write, if we're trying to get them to practice the timed aspect, I
think the time should've been modified to be closer to the conditions
under which they would actually be writing. It's just a note to tuck
away for when I'm a teacher and helping students prep for any
testing.
After two and a half hours of testing, the rest of the day was
compacted into the same amount of periods with less time for each. In
these periods, students read narrative writing examples, marking them
for ten different elements including several types of figurative
language, dialogue, and imagery. The reason behind this exercise is
to prepare students for starting their own narrative writing next
week, when they'll have to use all of those elements themselves in
their writing. Figurative language, dialogue, and imagery have been
the topic of study for weeks so students will only need to be
reminded rather than taught what these all mean. I think having
students work through examples themselves was a really great choice,
because it just continually reinforces the concepts in their mind and
gives them time with models before they then go through the practice
themselves.
This exercise took up Tuesday-Thursday, then Friday we discussed
plot pyramids. Thursday before I left, Ms. Lynch mentioned she was
thinking of having me teach some of the periods the lesson Friday. I
came in Friday and she asked if, after shadowing her first period to
see what she wanted to explain, I would take over the following six
periods. So here I was, jumping in! It was a pretty straightforward
lesson, but I did have some fun with it. Ms. Lynch had mentioned
using the analogy of a roller coaster with the plot pyramid, but
hadn't brought that out much in the first hour. I, however, grabbed
that analogy and hammed it up. The students probably all think I'm
pretty dorky, but I say “yup that's me!” I am passionate about
Language Arts, and yes I will do goofy things; but those goofy things
are what students will remember. For the most part, they paid
attention and didn't disrespect me much, which is one of the concerns
with this class. I even taught the seventh hour, which is the most
difficult because many kids have behavioral issues, are low
academically, or combine those two. Plus it was a longer period than
the other six. So though I used the roller coaster example in this
period, I also used other examples, making up a rough story on the
spot and explaining what I might write for each of the parts of the
pyramid as well as pulling in Remember the Titans. For
the most part, the students participated and were attentive, except
for about three students who are consistently causing issues in the
classroom. However, Ms. Lynch did have a talk with one of the
students about respecting me more and when I brought in Remember
the Titans, one of the other
students who was causing problems latched onto that and didn't make
as many off-topic comments. It will be a daily toss-up with this
period, and actually most of the other periods, for how the day might
go behavior and respect-wise; however, that's teaching in general –
you never know what to expect out of the students. Yet, my teacher
told me before I left that she thought I did a really good job and to
not let some of the students get to me. It was nice to have that
support and encouragement.
Now Monday it begins – it's all
me, all seven hours! We start the narrative writing itself, and my
teacher has already provided general materials that she has given me
permission to tweak, use, or toss out and use other ideas. I'm
looking forward to how the lessons will go; I think it's a really
interesting unit and has the potential for a lot of fun for the
students. After all, it's pretty much just writing stories, which, if
you ask me, is more engaging writing on its own for the average
student than, say, research papers. However, the nerves about what
the students behaviors might be like, in all the periods, weighs on
my mind.
Early in this week, I was
listening to the radio and heard the song “Let Them See You” by
the JJ Weeks Band. The chorus says:
“Let
them see You in me. Let them hear You when I speak. Let them feel You
when I sing. Let them see You, let them see You in me.” And I just
felt convicted that this was the mindset with which I was supposed to
approach that day, and this placement. It is different, and I won't
be having my faith explicitly supported by staff or students. In
fact, I've already found my values don't line up with the values of
others there, including staff members. But God is leading me “where
my trust is without borders... wherever [He] would call me”
(“Oceans,” another song I heard on the way home that same day
that's also become a challenge to me). And as he stretches me,
calling me to this class where behavior management is a daily
challenge and I feel slightly isolated, He is calling me to show them
Him through what I do. Ready or not, here I go, to shine His light.
Congratulations on surviving standardized tests -- now the real teaching begins. See you Wednesday!
ReplyDelete