Sunday, March 16, 2014

Week 10 - Exhausted Yet Finding the Blessings

This week was going to be a quiet week; while the rest of my friends departed campus, I was still around, preparing myself for a full week of work. In the end, it was a blessing that few people were around this week; the quiet was what I needed as I worked from the moment I got home until my head hit the pillow.
It's been rare that I have been as emotionally, mentally, and physically drained as I was this entire week. My days went from supporting students in class and still getting a feel for the school to fully being in charge for a straight seven class periods. In addition, I was working through 35 narratives each night to get through the writing of my nearly 100 students by the end of the week, and then starting the second cycle of read-throughs on their narratives. I was resisting complaining students about the guidelines I set, and students who decided to break those rules anyway. I was dealing with students who simply laughed in my face when I gave them instructions to follow or corrected their behavior and other students flat out ignored me. When I came up with what I thought would be good ideas for advisory, they ended in chaos. On top of all of it, I was also working on job applications for the reality that is coming my way in just 7 weeks. It was honestly exhausting.


To break some of this down a little more, let's take a look at the week. Monday I introduced narrative writing, gave them prompts to choose from, and started the students brainstorming what they wished to write. Then we began the work days, which were days that I had to fight the most to stand my ground. I instructed them that the noise level had to be a whisper, that they could not use iPads while writing since they already Chrome books for any internet needs, they were not to use ear buds, and they could not move seats. The first day, it was trying to keep a couple students in line, and the noise level in most classes was not even close to a whisper. The second day, Wednesday, the students in all but one or two of the seven periods had moved around so much when I went to tell one student to move back to their seat, another student was sitting there, and when I told that student to move, another was sitting there, until I couldn't count how far down the line I had to go to find original seats. Meanwhile, I had some students nearly completely finished writing on Thursday, while some had yet to type their second sentence. The students who had gotten a lot of work done in those two days were now bored, and rowdy. The students who didn't have much completed were also not remaining on task, hence they weren't getting much done.


Thursday I came in ready for some protesting students. I had discussed with my teacher the fact that I needed to be able to give consequences for moving seats or having ear buds because the message wasn't getting through to the students, even when I put in bold letters on the screen, said it aloud three times, and individually warned several students. So this time I put it in all capital letters on the screen, and stated at the beginning of class the possibility of consequences. Surprisingly, Thursday was my best day and students didn't give me near as much hassle as I expected. Friday the students were “squirrely” and loud, but at least most of them remained in their seats. I also had created lists of students who didn't have work done, and started checking in with them repeatedly during class, reminding them over and over to get to work.


Advisory periods are a whole different beast. I had no idea going into this that I would be expected to also take over this period, which meets with the small homeroom group for teacher-planned activities or lectures, for half an hour. In my idea, I was taking over some of the normal lessons with continual teacher support, and she would guide me more gradually into supervising advisory, since in this group that period is chaos. Yet, my teacher had other work to do, and Tuesday I found myself in charge of this period in addition to the other six. So I pulled out camp games and team-building exercises. The team-building went off terribly; the students refused to even stand in a circle in small groups. So I switched to a non-academic, non-strenuous game. There are students in the class who refuse to participate in any plans, but I thought that was mostly because they didn't want to run around or do something athletic. Yet, I found it a struggle to even get students to participate in the game that required them to sit in a circle on the floor and only move if they get “killed off” by the poison dart frog (who sticks out his or her tongue at their victim, trying not to be caught by the “detective” in the middle). Then that day, when we got back to the classroom, there was a tussle that ended in some serious consequences for those students. Wednesday and Thursday weren't much improvements, though I kept the activities limited to academics like cleaning out their lockers and checking their grades, as the teacher suggested. Friday we tried a combined activity with another class, and when we had to return to class we continued the activity. I thought it was going well; the students who didn't wish to participate could work on homework while others played and it all seemed all right. There were some students who started getting out of hand, and I shut it down soon after. However, reports that it was chaotic got to my cooperating teacher. I'm running out of ideas to keep this class content and subdued.


I have one week until spring break. We're wrapping up the writing this week, and after spring break get to discuss Shakespeare while the Reading class reads the play A Midsummer Night's Dream before students see a performance of it. Hopefully that lightens some of the nightly paper reading load. I'm interested to see how into Shakespeare these eighth graders get.


Despite the chaos of the week, I do find joy in some things. First of all, there are some students who are really working hard on this unit and taking my input to heart. They are eager to learn about writing and want to make great narratives. Second, I've read some amazing stories. Some of these students have mad talent, and I'm completely wrapped up in their story. Others, who are putting forth the effort, have some great ideas their working with and simply need some polish. Third, I know that this placement is truly preparing me for teaching. In talking with my cooperating teacher, I noted that I guess I'd rather have a tough group of students while I'm student teaching, so I can go into my teaching career with more confidence in these situations. Finally, I have continued to be challenged through Bible study and songs on the radio to be an image-bearer of Christ to those I encounter, and this placement has certainly given a lot of opportunity for me share that love, even when it's hard. I have to be firm with these students, but I hope in that firmness, I am also able to show my positivity, my continual belief that these students can succeed if they try, and a caring attitude about the individuals in the class.



I have to make it one week. Then I get a short reprieve from the daily grind, and after that it's only five weeks. I have more work on the way, with finish the edTPA, taking the APT test, and continuing the job search process. However, I know better than ever that God will give me his strength on those days I can't find any on my own. And as a cute blue fish, Dory, would say... “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

No comments:

Post a Comment